things started off on an interesting note when the following was overheard in the airport (where, incidentally, i was not delayed for 6 hours, unlike a previous trip to the city):
"i remember feeling sorry for kids at school who had ugly mothers."
this compassionate insight was relayed from a youngish woman to an older man, whom i presumed was her father. sadly, his response to this gem was lost as their conversation was drowned out by my internal gutteral screams at humanity. once i recovered, i was able to discern the following about them:
- she was unable to digest any type of oil
- he often cooked using said culinary lubricant
- she wouldn't eat anything that he cooked except for pasta
- he rarely cooked pasta
- apparently she was starving
- he offered her some broccoli
it's just now ocurring to me that had i gotten delayed at the airport with these two, i likely would have tried to force feed her some bertoli, straight from the bottle. just to test her theory.