shoe of the day...

shoe of the day...

Thursday, April 10, 2008

earring ye bells

i mentioned this incident earlier, but because i feel like posting something and my pictures aren't downloading properly today [grr] i'll go ahead and tell the tale of the nearly lost earring.

these are, absolutely, my favorite pair of earrings. my sister bought them for me from tiffany & co. to thank me for being big al's godmother. i've worn them, literally, all but four days since i received them in november. love them. love. them. they're the perfect size and they go with every outfit [even the crazy ones.] plus, every morning when i put them on i think of the bebes; what better way to start one's day?

i was at work about a week ago, having a crazed morning. was in the kitchen putting my lunch in the fridge. was downstairs unlocking the studio and searching for someone's forgotten homework. was in the vault pulling out posters. was at kate's desk answering her phone. was in bit's office pulling out some files for her. ugh. crazy. non-stop. i was sitting at my desk at around 11, typing, when the back to the right earring fell onto my keyboard. odd, yes? where was the post? nowhere to be found. of course this was one of those ridiculously cold mornings, so i had a sweater, a coat and a hat to comb through. shook them all out, one by one.

no post.

got up to retrace my steps. went to the kitchen. went to the vault. went downstairs into the studio. sat at kate's desk. sat at bit's desk.

no post.

i believe it was at this precise moment that i began to panic, except that panic isn't exactly the right word. i became so sad that i'd lost my earring -- not in a materialistic sense, but more for what the earring meant to me. i went onto the tiffany & co. website, prepared to order a new pair, but emailed customer service instead asking about a replacement post. while i was waiting for their response, i finished up some work. went back into bit's office to re-file a document, pulled out her file drawer and broke into a cold sweat [seriously. i have really responsive glands.]

stuck, bead side up, amongst her files folders was my earring.
it was so freaky.
i think the earring gnomes have nieces and nephews. they must have felt bad for me.

also? who knew i was so organized as to re-file a document that quickly?
so efficient.
wow.

No comments: